Finnish Government is pleased to offer a range of scholarships to students of high academic ability for 2018 entry. Students of Australia, China, Cuba, Egypt, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Mongolia, Namibia, Republic of Korea, Turkey, Ukraine and the USA are eligible to apply for these scholarships to undertake 3-9 months for doctoral level studies and research.
The Finnish Government Scholarships are available for 3-9 months for doctoral level studies and research at Finnish Universities or Public Research Institutes.
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying (see section ‘Doctoral Admissions’);
- have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland; the invitation should also explain the commitment of the host institution to the project;
- have earned a Masters-level degree before applying;
- intend to pursue post-master’s level studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a university or public research institute in Finland; priority will be given to doctoral studies;
- not have spent already more than one year at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland;
- be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research;
- be a national of one of the eligible countries listed above.
- A monthly allowance of EUR 1500;
- The allowance is sufficient for one person only;
- Expenses due to travel, international or in Finland, are not covered by the program;
- Scholarship recipients are recommended to make arrangements for sufficient insurance coverage for their stay in Finland;
- Please see the section ‘Practical matters‘ for information on the practicalities of coming to Finland as an international student/researcher.
How to apply?
Applications for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool funding should be made to the appropriate authority in the applicant’s country. The scholarship authorities in each country are invited to present applications for up to 10 candidates for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool. The announcements for the opening of the annual application round are usually sent out from CIMO at the end of September annually. Documents required for an application:
- A completed and signed application form;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Copies of latest diplomas;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- Study/research plan (2-5 pages, including a statement of motivation, goals, work plan, work method, expected results);
- Invitation/expression of interest and motivation for cooperation from the hosting academic supervisor in Finland;
- Language certificate (Finnish, Swedish or English) or other indication of sufficient language skills – please see above, in the section ‘Eligibility criteria’.
Copies of original diplomas accompanied with translations into English, Finnish or Swedish – if the original certificates are not in these languages. Preferably official translations. Please do not send in any originals as CIMO will not return any application documents.
For more information please visit the official website.