Deadline: 1 March 2015
Open to: German and International Students who wants to continue their studies in Germany
Location: All Universities in Germany
The Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities per year, who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’). We expect our scholarship recipients to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation awards some scholarships to international students who gained their university entrance qualification from a school outside of Germany who wish to study a Masters or PhD Degree in Germany. Host universities can be State or state-recognized Universities in Germany. The scholarships are awarded for all subjects. The scholarship program allots scholarships to international students.
International students on a MASTERS course in any subject who earned their university entrance qualification outside Germany (Bildungsausländer/innen) and are studying, or wish to study, in Germany at university of applied science (Fachhochschule) or university
• You may apply before beginning your Masters programme or at any time up to the end of the first semester of the Masters programme.
• Special focus regions are: central and eastern Europe, the EU’s neighbouring states and the CIS, the Middle East and North Africa (especially Syria, Egypt, Tunisia, Israel), transition and newly industrialised countries, and conflict regions worldwide.
• Applicants must have completed a first degree.
• Good or very good knowledge of German (at least B2 Level) is required; please supply documentary evidence. The selection workshops are generally held in German. If a scholarship is granted, intensive German courses may be funded.
International doctoral students in all subjects, who earned the university entrance qualification outside Germany, and who are pursuing, or wish to pursue, doctoral studies in Germany (Bildungsausländer/innen):
• At the time of application, the applicant must have been accepted as a doctoral student by a state-recognised German institution of higher education.
• Preference will be given to dissertation projects related to the working areas of the Heinrich Böll Foundation
- Masters Studies: €750 per month plus various individual allowances.
- PhD Studies: €1000 per month plus €100 mobility allowance per month, plus various individual allowances.
- Tuition fees are not funded for both Masters and PhD studies.
Applications are not yet open. The online application portal will open on 20 January 2016 for Spring 2016.
For details of application requirements and procedures, please consult information sheet A 1-1(“scholarship application for undergraduate and graduate students”, PDF) or A 2-1 (“scholarship application for doctoral studies”). These give important information on the formalities of your application and on preconditions and criteria. The online application portal closes on 3 March 2016 at the latest.