Deadline: 30 June 2016
Open to: Students from developing countries willing to continue their studies/research in Germany
Scholarship amount: Varies for each candidate
The Catholic Academic Exchange Service (KAAD) is the scholarship institution of the German Catholic Church for post-graduate students and scientists from (developing) countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Near and Middle East, as well as Eastern and Southeastern Europe. The KAAD supports his scholars in form of scholarships and educational programs and offers spiritual and personal assistance in view of future multiplying functions students will have in their home countries. This is based on cooperation with partner committees and associations of ex-scholars in those countries and it aims at setting up (scientific) networks and at contributing to a holistic development, which includes the religious and inter-religious dimensions.
For the scholarship programme 1 of KAAD you can apply if you:
- come from a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America and are currently living there
- have a university degree and professional experience from your home country
- want to acquire a master’s degree or a PhD at a German university or do a post-doctoral research project (2-6 months for established university lecturers) at a German university
- are a Catholic Christian (or general belong to a Christian denomination). Candidates from other religions can apply if they are proposed by Catholic partners and can prove their commitment to interreligious dialogue
- possess German language skills before starting the studies (KAAD can provide a language course of max. 6 months in Germany).
Expectation from candidate
KAAD expect from you to be
- Above-average performance in studies and research
- The orientation of your studies or research towards permanent reintegration in your home region (otherwise the scholarship is turned into a loan),
- Religious and social commitment (activities) and willingness to inter-religious dialogue.
KAAD is working with focus- and partner countries in your region. There are so-called Partner Committees in these countries and applications are channelled via them. Applications from other countries can be considered only in exceptional cases.
KAAD is working with focus- and partner countries in your region. There are so-called Partner Committees in these countries and applications are channelled through them. Visit the web page relevant to you for region-specific eligibility requirements and application procedures: Africa (sub-Sahara), Asia, Latin America, Near and Middle East (including northern Africa).
Applications for the September selection need to be complete by 30th of June.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.