The Department of History, Center for Polish and European studies of Jerzy Wladyslaw Giedroyc and Student scholarly society of humanities “Potluck” are glad to invite students, postgraduates and postdocs to participate in the International Scholarly Conference for Young Researchers “Exploring the Past: New Social History at the Crossroads of Methodological Trends”, which will take place on March 22-23, 2018 at the National University of “Kyiv-Mohyla Academy”. This conference is the next from the series of annual international seminars “Exploring the Past…” launched this year and positioning itself as an academic forum for discussion on the methodology of historical research. The purpose of the conference is to create an intellectual environment in which the younger generation of professionals will be able to discuss different approaches to studying social history and their use in the study of various source material.
Papers should engage with one or more of the following themes (the topic of the sections will be further specified):
- “Ad fontes”: source base for the study of social history;
- Historical demography: distinct numbers or social dynamics?;
- Microhistory: whether the mosaic of the “past” is composed of small stories?;
- Historical Anthropology, or What is the Place of Human in the “theater” of history;
- Historical Urbanism: What cities can tell and what they are silent about?;
- Gender Studies;
- Church history and anthropology of religion;
- History of education and history of erudition;
- Alltagsgeschichte (The History of everyday life);
- Oral History: (biased) witness of the past.
Within the frameworks of the conference, the participants will be able to attend public lectures by famous Ukrainian historians, participate in workshops with professors of the NaUKMA History Department, as well as attend public discussions on the general issues of the conference.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must be aged between 18 and 30 years old and have filled in the electronic form.The selection of participants is held on a competitive basis.
The organizers are looking for funds to provide accommodation and meals for conference participants.
How to apply?
- Required pre-registration. To do so you must fill in the electronic form and write an abstract (up to 500 words) which should outline the issues of your research, sources and historiography (briefly) and preliminary conclusions and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Working languages: Ukrainian, English, Polish.
- Confirmation of participation will be sent by January 15, 2018.
For more information, visit the official website