Deadline: December 31, 2014
Location: UNV Headquarters, Germany.
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. UNV is headquartered in Bonn, Germany and has approximately 150 staff positions–with the majority in Bonn and some positions with different UN peacekeeping and political missions, and in other Headquarters locations (e.g. New York and Tokyo).
The programme includes a specific modality for youth volunteerism, which aims to meet the needs of young volunteers whilst harnessing their skills and experience. It also aims to foster partnerships with a broad range of youth-led, volunteer involving, and civil society organizations, governments and other
UN agencies in order to discover new opportunities for youth volunteerism and exchange best practices. Finally it seeks to strengthen national and regional capacities including policy and legislative frameworks for governments, civil society and other partners to develop and sustain youth volunteer schemes.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- Education: Completed undergraduate degree (Bachelor) and current enrollment in a Master’s degree or equivalent. Only those students who will return to their studies upon completion of their internship assignments are eligible;
- Field of study: Development-related fields such as economics, international relations, anthropology, sociology, public or business administration, or environmental studies. Other fields of study may be considered depending on the type of assignment;
- Language skills: Written and spoken proficiency in English and preferably in an additional official UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese);
- Demonstrated interest in the field of development and the work of international organizations.
- Previous experience in:-organization of workshops/ events-partnership building and stakeholder consultations-and/ or communications and campaign management-and/or research and policy development as well as experience in developing countries is desirable. Knowledge of the UN work environment an advantage.
- Enthusiastic about the role of youth volunteerism and participation in peace and development and ready to learn.
- Experience in non–formal education an asset.
- Good oral and written communications skills and demonstrated research abilities and interest.
- Internet proficiency as well as proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Experience with the development of statistics, charts in Excel and Web 2.0 tools (especially social networking) an asset.
- Experience in volunteering a strong asset.
General Terms and Conditions:
- UNDP Conditions of Service for interns (http://www.undp.org/internships/) apply for interns working at UNV Headquarters.
- The Internship Programme operates on a non-remunerative basis. Costs and arrangements for travel, visa, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of the intern.
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNV but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
- UNV accepts no responsibility for the intern’s medical insurance or for costs arising from illness during the internship. Interns are required to provide proof of medical insurance coverage.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and called for a motivational interview that will take place on an ongoing basis. Please also refer to UNV’s general terms and conditions for internships at UNV athttp://www.unv.org/about-us/employment/internship.html
Applications (Application form [MS Word],CV and a short paragraph on your motivation in English) should be sent via e-mail to : email@example.com